Consider running for election!
From July 11-18, 2017, kinesiologists in the following districts will participate in elections to Council:
- District 2- Eastern
- District 3- Central East
- District 4- Central (one member of three)
To see if you are in one of these districts, click here. Your electoral district is based on the location where you primarily work, and if you are not working, where you live.
Beginning May 2, the College will be seeking nominations from kinesiologists eligible to run. To view the eligibility criteria, click here. Check your inbox at the beginning of May for more information and consider running! This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to public protection and the future of the profession. On July 11, kinesiologists in these districts will be emailed instructions on how to vote.
If you have any questions about the nomination or election process, please contact Ryan Pestana via email, or at (416) 961-7000 ext. 107.
The College is run by a Council, similar to a board of directors. Council sets the College's strategic direction and ensures that the College is meeting its mandate to protect the public.
Council is made up of:
- Ten kinesiologists elected by their peers for three year terms, one of whom must be a member of an Ontario university’s faculty or department of kinesiology, and
- At least six and no more than eight public members appointed by the Ontario government to provide the public's point of view.
While kinesiologists are elected by their peers, they do not represent them. All Council members are required to put the interests of the public ahead of the interests of the profession.
Determining your electoral district
There are seven electoral districts for the purpose of Council elections. Your electoral district is based on the location where you primarily work, and if you are not working, where you live. To view the districts and the number of kinesiologists elected from each district, click here.
Elections are held every July. The schedule is as follows:
- in 2017, and in every third year after that, for the members from districts 2 and 3, and one member from District 4;
- in 2018, and in every third year after that, for one member from District 4, one member from District 5, and the member from District 6; and
- in 2019, and in every third year after that, for the member from District 1, and for one member from districts 4 and 5.
Running for election
To run for election, you:
- must be registered in good standing;
- cannot have been an employee, officer or director of any professional association or certifying body in the healthcare or health-related field for one year before submitting your nomination;
- must run in the district in which you are eligible to vote.
- (District 7 only) must also be employed full-time at a faculty or department of kinesiology at an Ontario university.
To view the full eligibility requirements, see By-Law 10.09.
Process for submitting nominations and voting
If you are in a district that is up for election, you will receive an email at the beginning of May notifying you of the upcoming election. This email will also contain instructions on how to submit nominations. Nominations must be submitted online. The College accepts nominations for about three weeks, and the names of candidates eligible for election are announced in late June. In mid-July and if you are eligible to vote, you will receive an email that contains your ballot. To be eligible to vote, you must have paid all outstanding fees.
The full election process can be found in section 10 of the College By-Laws.