This year, elections to Council will be held in Districts 2, 3 and 4. Throughout the month of May, kinesiologists in those districts were invited to submit their nominations. Below you will find the results of the nomination process.
District 2: Election to be held on Tuesday, July 11
Candidates for election:
- Jennifer Bushell
- Daniel Crête
- Stephen Maniscalco
- Evyanne Wooding
District 3: Acclaimed
The College congratulates Nelson Amaral on his election by acclamation.
District 4: Election to be held on Tuesday, July 11
Candidates for election:
- Sandra Atri
- Kimberley Cullen
- Matthew Daher
- Faith Delos-Reyes
- Jean Fraser
- Stefanie Moser
- Renee Raymond
An official notice of election, including candidate biographies, has been emailed to kinesiologists in these Districts. If you are eligible to vote, you will receive your ballot via email on Tuesday, July 11. The poll opens at 12:01 a.m. on July 11 and closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, July 18.
Voting in Council elections is one of the easiest ways to get involved with the College! If you have questions about the election, please contact Ryan Pestana via email or at (416) 961-7000 ext. 107.
The College is run by a Council, similar to a board of directors. Council sets the College's strategic direction and ensures that the College is meeting its mandate to protect the public.
Council is made up of:
- Ten kinesiologists elected by their peers for three year terms, one of whom must be a member of an Ontario university’s faculty or department of kinesiology, and
- At least six and no more than eight public members appointed by the Ontario government to provide the public's point of view.
While kinesiologists are elected by their peers, they do not represent them. All Council members are required to put the interests of the public ahead of the interests of the profession.
Determining your electoral district
There are seven electoral districts for the purpose of Council elections. Your electoral district is based on the location where you primarily work, and if you are not working, where you live. To view the districts and the number of kinesiologists elected from each district, click here.
Elections are held every July. The schedule is as follows:
- in 2017, and in every third year after that, for the members from districts 2 and 3, and one member from District 4;
- in 2018, and in every third year after that, for one member from District 4, one member from District 5, and the member from District 6; and
- in 2019, and in every third year after that, for the member from District 1, and for one member from districts 4 and 5.
Running for election
To run for election, you:
- must be registered in good standing;
- cannot have been an employee, officer or director of any professional association or certifying body in the healthcare or health-related field for one year before submitting your nomination;
- must run in the district in which you are eligible to vote.
- (District 7 only) must also be employed full-time at a faculty or department of kinesiology at an Ontario university.
To view the full eligibility requirements, see By-Law 10.09.
Process for submitting nominations and voting
If you are in a district that is up for election, you will receive an email at the beginning of May notifying you of the upcoming election. This email will also contain instructions on how to submit nominations. Nominations must be submitted online. The College accepts nominations for about three weeks, and the names of candidates eligible for election are announced in late June. In mid-July and if you are eligible to vote, you will receive an email that contains your ballot. To be eligible to vote, you must have paid all outstanding fees.
The full election process can be found in section 10 of the College By-Laws.