Why use the services of a registered kinesiologist?
For the public, regulation means protection. It ensures quality service and accountability. The Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 established colleges to regulate Ontario’s health professionals, such as kinesiologists. The colleges are not schools. Rather, they exist to ensure that Ontario’s health professionals put the interests of their patients and clients first, and that they meet certain standards.
To achieve this, colleges must:
- Set requirements for entry to the profession so that only qualified individuals can practise.
- Develop rules and guidelines for members' practice and conduct, including a code of ethics that members must follow.
- Implement measures to prevent the sexual abuse of patients/clients by members.
- Investigate complaints about members’ practice and discipline if necessary.
- Ensure that members participate in a quality assurance program to maintain current knowledge and skills.
Colleges restrict use the profession's title, such as kinesiologist, to their members. The colleges maintain on their website a list of individuals qualified to practise, which includes information such as practice location and any disciplinary action taken against a member.
You can be assured that when you see a registered kinesiologist, you are receiving competent, safe and ethical services from a highly qualified and trained individual. Kinesiologists practise according to standards set by the College of Kinesiologists, and they are required to maintain update-to-date knowledge and skills. They are held responsible by the College for the services they provide, and any concerns about a kinesiologist’s practice may be reported to the College and the College will investigate.
The College cannot address concerns about unregulated practitioners. These individuals have not demonstrated that they are qualified to practise kinesiology, and they are not responsible for meeting the College’s standards.
For more information on Ontario’s regulated health professions, visit the website of the Federation of Health Regulatory Colleges of Ontario at www.regulatedhealthprofessions.on.ca.