Concerns and Complaints 

If you have a concern or complaint about the care you received from a kinesiologist, you have the right to submit a complaint to the College. If you are not sure if you want to file a complaint, contact the College via email or at (416) 961-7000 ext. 100. 

If you are an employer or facility operator, learn about your mandatory reporting obligations

Step 1: Review the complaints process 

Learn more about the complaints process below or contact us at (416) 961-7000 ext. 100 to discuss your questions.

You may discuss the complaints process before you make a formal complaint, and you do not have to share your name. When and if you decide to make a formal complaint, you will be required to identify yourself.

If you have concerns about the practice of a kinesiologist, you can contact the College by email or at (416) 961-7000 ext. 100 to discuss the matter.

Step 2: Put together information about the complaint

Complaints must be received in a recorded format. Recorded means your complaint can be written, or in an audio or video format. College staff cannot record your complaint over the phone. You can have another person assist you in submitting a complaint. 

To file a complaint, please complete the Complaints Form.

We will need the following information from you:

  • your name and contact information (daytime number, mailing address). The College cannot address anonymous complaints. 
  • the name of the kinesiologist (College staff can help if you do not have the exact name).
  • the patient/client's name if it concerns someone other than yourself. 
  • description of the behaviour, action or inaction you are concerned about, and include as much detail as possible about time and location.
Step 3: Submit your complaint

You can do this by:

Registrar c/o Professional Conduct Department
College of Kinesiologists of Ontario
160 Bloor Street East, Suite 1402
Toronto, ON M4W 1B9




Fax: (416) 961-7009

About the complaints process

1. Who can file a complaint with the College?

Anyone who has a concern about a kinesiologist can file a complaint. By law, the College must address all complaints it receives about kinesiologists. This includes complaints from patients/clients, their family members, friends, or caregivers, other professionals, employers and insurers. If you are an employer or facility operator, please also review your mandatory reporting obligations

2. Are there complaints the College cannot address?

The College can't address any of the following:

  • Matters that have been dealt with by another agency, such as the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
  • Matters that involve a kinesiologist’s behaviour as a spouse, parent, neighbour or business partner, unless the behaviour would be considered by the profession or the public to be conduct unbecoming.
  • Complaints regarding management of a facility, unless the kinesiologist is the owner and/or operator of the facility and has a professional duty to establish or maintain systems, such as ensuring confidentiality of health records.
  • Complaints or concerns that the College may deem to be frivolous and/or vexatious. These might include complaints that are considered retaliatory or an abuse of process.
3. Can I complain to the College without giving my name?

No, complaints cannot be made anonymously. However, you can anonymously contact the College with concerns or to report information. Callers are not required to identify themselves when doing this. If you decide to make a complaint, you will be required to identify yourself.

4. Should I continue to be treated by a kinesiologist I have complained about?

This is your decision. You should think about what would be best for you as a patient/client. Sometimes continuing to receive treatment from the same kinesiologist would be difficult.

5. Can I make a complaint about the place of practice rather than a kinesiologist?

The College only regulates the practice of individual kinesiologists and not the places where they practice. Sometimes, a kinesiologist may be the owner of the place of practice. In this case the investigation may be able to look into the practice.

6. How long do I have to file a complaint?

There is no time limit, but as time goes on, it may be harder to remember what happened and give accurate details. You are encouraged to make your concerns known as soon as possible so that the kinesiologist has the opportunity to respond more accurately and to ensure that any evidence is current. 

7. What happens after I file my complaint?

College staff will contact you to confirm receipt of the complaint within 14 days and provide you with more information. They may ask for more details to help clarify your concerns. A College investigator may also speak to others who have information that could be helpful. The College sends the kinesiologist a copy of the complaint so that they have the opportunity to respond in writing. College staff is always available to answer your questions during the investigation process.

8. Who makes a decision about the complaint?

The information collected during the investigation is reviewed by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (ICRC). The panel will include kinesiologists and members of the public. The panel directs the investigation often with the assistance of College staff. 

9. What happens if I change my mind after I file a complaint?

If you have already told the College that you want to proceed with a complaint, you can ask to withdraw it. The ICRC will review your original complaint and your request. If your concerns are very serious, the Committee may decide to continue with the investigation, even if you do not take part.

10. How long does the complaints process take?

Subject to certain limitations, the College is required to make a decision on a complaint within 150 days. If 150 days has passed, the College will notify you and the kinesiologist, explaining the reasons for the delay and the expected time in which the complaint will be decided.

11. What kinds of decisions can the ICRC make?

Once the ICRC is satisfied that the investigation is complete, the panel can do any one of the following:

  • Refer the matter to the College’s Discipline Committee. A matter warrants referral to Discipline if the concerns are serious enough and there is  strong evidence to suggest that the kinesiologist may have committed an act of professional misconduct, and/or maybe be incompetent.
  • Refer the matter to another panel of the ICRC if it is apparent that the kinesiologist may be suffering from a health condition or disorder that is affecting their ability to practise.
  • Issue a caution to the kinesiologist. The kinesiologist appears before the panel and the panel expresses its concerns about the kinesiologist’s practice. The kinesiologist is given the opportunity to discuss changes they will make to avoid a similar incident.
  • Require the kinesiologist to complete programs that will improve their practice. These are known as specified continuing education or remediation programs (SCERPs).
  • Issue written advice with or without recommendations.
  • Enter into an agreed upon undertaking with the kinesiologist that outlines various things he/she must do.
  • Decide that no further action is required.
The panel is required to provide written reasons for its decision and to provide these to the complainant and the kinesiologist.

12. What can the ICRC not do?

The ICRC cannot:

  • Award complainants any monetary compensation or other compensation.
  • Require the kinesiologist to apologize to the complainant.
  • Require another administrative body or organization to change a decision regarding the subject matter of the complaint (e.g. an insurance company changing the provision of benefits).
  • Require an employer to discipline a kinesiologist.
13. What if I am not happy with the decision?

Both the complainant and the kinesiologist have the right to appeal the ICRC's decision to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (HPARB) if they feel the investigation was inadequate or the decision was unreasonable. Information on how to file an appeal is provided to the parties.